How to Stay Fit with SilverSneakers
When you become eligible for Medicare—typically at age 65—you may be eligible for free fitness programs through a Medicare Advantage Plan. SilverSneakers is one of those programs. It offers more than 16,000 locations around the country, most of which include weights, treadmills, pools, and fitness classes with certified instructors.
If you are enrolled in Medicare Parts A and B (Original Medicare), you do not receive any fitness-related benefits. If you enroll in a Medicare Advantage or Supplement Plan—offered by private insurance carriers—you are likely to be eligible for SilverSneakers or a similar fitness program.
What SilverSneakers Offers
- Access to fitness equipment in gyms (weights, treadmills, ellipticals etc.)
- Exercise classes for many fitness levels (SilverSneakers Classic, SilverSneakers Circuit, SilverSneakers Cardiofit, FLEX Classes, and more)
- Tennis courts, pools, and walking trails
- 16,000 fitness and community locations throughout the United States (you can be enrolled at multiple locations)
- Social events
- Online resources with fitness and nutrition tips
- Fitness app for tips and workouts on the go
At-Home Fitness Resources
If you don’t live near a SilverSneakers fitness center, you may benefit from the SilverSneakers Steps program. You can choose from several kits with tools for at-home exercise. The kit topics include: general fitness, walking, strength and yoga. For example, the Strength kit includes:
- A medium resistance exercise band
- A resistance band over-the-door attachment
- A SilverSneakers Steps Quick Start Guide – includes motivation, instructions, and tracking tools
Benefits of SilverSneakers
Consistent exercise can help you stay healthy and mobile, preventing falls and other health complications. Brain function, heart health, blood flow, and more can all be positively impacted by exercise. Increased fitness may also make it easier for you to pursue goals like traveling or enjoying time with family. Regular activity can lead to improved mental health, and many SilverSneakers members also enjoy the social aspect of the classes and community.
The variety of programs and equipment available through SilverSneakers make it easy to find a workout that suits your goals and preferences. Swimming or water-based classes are easy on the joints, yoga classes focus on balance and mobility, and many classes can be completed from a seat if needed. For those seeking a high-energy activity, aerobics or dance classes are available. Some SilverSneakers members are so enthusiastic about the program they go on to become instructors for some classes.
Because all of these fitness benefits are included with a Medicare Advantage Plan, SilverSneakers can help some beneficiaries save money or start a fitness habit they previously couldn’t afford. It’s a great way to improve both physical and financial wellness.